Tuesday 8 July 2008

Ginger, left-handed and persecuted by Cro Magnons

An interesting question was posed this evening, as I accompanied Jenni on the Tube home after our drinks. She recently (by accident, she claims) read a book that was authored by a crackpot; at first it appeared to have a solid basis in science, but soon revealed itself to be horribly written, chock full of exclamation marks and utterly nonsensical.

I'm not sure what it was called, but the premise has been making me chuckle ever since, so I thought I'd conduct a straw poll to see if the nutcase has a point.

He reckons, you see, that the Neanderthals had a high proportion of left-handed people with ginger hair, who were picked on by the Cro Magnons for being more creative than anyone else.

I have no idea how he came to this conclusion, but I doubt it will stand up for long in the face of scientific scrutiny. So let's do some scrutinising: I myself am left-handed, but I do not have red hair. I am, however, creative, in my own ever-humble opinion.

And how about you lovely lot? Would you have been safe from Cro Magnon persecution?

Talking of crackpot authors, I've been asked to write a psychology book - a little, inspirational, coffee-table one. For those of you not au fait with my cv (you really are missing out), psychology was the topic of my postgraduate degree, so I am, as you might guess, a little bit chuffed and excited.

Anyway, back to prehistoric man...

7 comments:

HeatherFev21 said...

I'm a lefty, not ginger and I would stab you all in the face as quick as look as you.

Does that help?

GRATZ ON THE BOOK, I would NOT like this for Xmas or my Bday, kthx! :D

(You can send it me, but I want chocolate as well plz, or perhaps just a visit, that will involve lots of donuts and vodka, and perhaps some stair surfing)

Psych THAT out baby!

Amanda said...

Oooooo a coffee book! Like the ones you see in all the coffee and shops and I always want them.

You should write and publish it before I go back to school so you can put it in my care package along with your magazine and English teas ;P

Kitty Lalonde said...

Ooooo an opportunity to mess with millions of peoples heads THE FUN! Congrats dear heart!

In answer to your serious debate on ginger lefties, I am neither I'm afraid, well... Occasional hair dye excitements have left me in a position of being ginger, but that is more self inflicted. Oh and I play golf left handed as well.

What does this mean? Am as creative as a dead fish? Am I only creative when golfing?

ANALYSE ME!

*squeals in excitement*

Tim said...

Hurrah! Congratulations on the book!!

I too am a non-ginger lefty, but I can pick things up with my toes so lord knows where that leaves me.

Probably in league with the Monkey overlords.

Anonymous said...

Wow, brilliant about the book, that is bloody marvellous.

I am right handed and not ginger, but am creative I think. No-one can daydream as much as I do and not be, surely. I can paint with either hand too, but this has more to do with laziness I fear.

I am afraid of Tim's feet now.

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

not lefty, ginger or creative, but have lefty child who is pretty creative and fisty, she'll take anyone on and a lefty, ginger bearded (well more pinkish now that some white has crept in and he shaves it so noone will see!) husband and he is a bit of a neanderthal, but sshhhh i didnt say that ;o)

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

dancing rodents and coolios on the book!
meant to put that in my op ;o)
xxxxxxxxxxx