Thursday 12 June 2008

Years of Primping

Some time around last Christmas, a curious change came over my mother: she became absolutely fixated on beauty products, especially those from Neal's Yard. Visiting home turned into a bath oil assult course of epic proportions, it really wasn't like her.

My Christmas presents, it didn't surprise me to note, were awash with pampering liquids, including - count them - SIX Neal's Yard gift boxes, twelve odds and sods from the Body Shop and Marks & Sparks and some random items that caught her magpie eye. Believe me, this picture shows just the tip of a very sickly-smelling iceberg.

I now own a million beauty products and have no idea do with them. I've never been a particularly girly girl, I can't quite get my head around the excitement of smearing stuff over myself on a regular basis for... ta da! Absolutely no discernible result. Nope, I'm a girl geek, my spare cash goes on Battlestar Galactica box sets and my latest plan to replace my Buffy videos with DVD. I'm vain about my avatar, but very seldom myself.

Except with my hair, I'm very vain about my hair. That gets more attention than your average diva - an ex used to call my Mason Pearson the 'comfort brush', because I was seldom seen without it. He was right, it's in the same room as me 24/7.

My new mission is to use up all this bloody liquid by Christmas, just in case she's got a new batch waiting. I applied my first ever face mask the other day and am thrilled to report that there was absolutely no discernible result. And I've applied so much body, face, hand and foot lotion that I'm in danger of sliding off myself.

7 comments:

HeatherFev21 said...

I see no mention of spoons, puking or otherwise -.-

Alicia Chenaux said...

Sometimes the results aren't immediate, or you have to use it regularly to see any benefit.

I will slap, smear, and spray almost any beauty product onto my face as long as it says I'm going to look hot later.

WillowC said...

Well I definitely have more than enough of the stuff to test that theory LOL!

(I'll admit the eye cream is working but ssshhhh)

Tim said...

Must be careful next time I hug you - might launch you into orbit!

Anonymous said...

I also have a collection of 'product' that gathers dust in my bathroom. I just put the face masks on so that I can pull silly faces at myself.

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

dont knock it! i dont get gifts from anyone other than my kids and paul buys them, do usually dont fit, unusable or just plan horrid :-/

Anonymous said...

Sliding off yourself? Ding dong! *pervs*