Tuesday 3 June 2008

The Sting of Jambition

It turns out (and this will surprise nobody) that I'm not nearly as clever as I think I am, and Tim and Yaz are little better.

Mind you, when we decided to do a pub quiz this evening, we brooked no jambiguity (you'll have to ask Tim about the jam obsession) as far as our chances were concerned.

Consequently, the team names bandied about as suggestions included:

1) Bucket of spackers
2) Mummy's Special Little Angels
and my personal favourite (because it was my idea)
3) There's only two of us and we're both stupid.

(There were three of us.)

Eventually, we settled on Da Speshuls. We didn't do too badly, all things considered - better than the middle-aged women next to us, who CHEATED at the end and gave themselves a higher score (I knew their bloody results, I had to mark their answers, the cheek of it). So we were announced as last place and given a condescending round of applause, but frankly we think 52/70 wasn't bad for a first try.

I did cheat a bit and text my dad and Best Mate for one or two answers. Best Mate, who is like a walking map of London, saved us from mucking up a Monopoly question, but my dad wittered something about aquariums and was no help at all. Tim, meanwhile, was paying absolutely no attention and doodling all over the pictures round.

MummyC then texted her consternation at not being consulted, so I asked her which wading bird is named after its shellfish dinner. "Duck-billed Prawnpuss," came the reply. If I ever go on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, I'm calling Best Mate for my phone a friend, the parents are clearly imbeciles.

Next week, we're going for Rendezvous With Dramarama, or possibly Rendezvous With Bananarama. Which will only make sense if you're an Arthur C. Clarke fan. Or weird.

Alternatively, if we're feeling rebellious: Shit, Crapple and Plop.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appaulled you didn't text me, I ALWAYS get the questions right on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire!!!!

I am a walking mine of useless information, you know this.

-.-

Tim said...

I thought we were great.

Yazzle said...

We needed more music questions – we rocked at those! (Snigger! See what I did there? hehe)

CatDude said...

I can offer my help for such important categories as computer programming or databases ... you know, they are amongst the most popular topics for pub quizzes, really! ;-D

Anonymous said...

PMSL @ Duck-billed Prawnpuss!! And the pic! Liking the team name, too. I always fret about that...ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

Aw a walking map *blushes*
Shame it is cos i actually carry a Monopoly board in my bag, and often ask the way to 'the blue bits'. Once at said blue bits, I spend my money - also supplied by Monopoly. Genius bit of kit.

Anonymous said...

Aha! I got a cheeky text from a Yazlet too. But I only picked it up this morning. Too bad. Would have required bribery on your part to help your cheating asses! hee hee

Anonymous said...

Yazzle? Is that you cheater cheater?

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

:-O you didnt text me! i know everything that has no use!!
oh ..... you dont have my number:-p

Inexplicable DeVice said...

I love the name Mummy's Special Little Angels - I'm stealing it for the next pub quiz we go on.

* yoink *

Tim said...

But we're not going on a pub quiz. Do you often do them on your own?

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Who says the 'we' included you, Tim? I do have other stalkees- uh, I mean friends...

Tim said...

Ha - you can be quite funny at times, witch!