Wednesday 18 June 2008

The Loneliest Piece of Popcorn

Today I was very brave indeed: I went to the cinema all on my ownsome. I've barely considered the idea before, but it struck me that I walk past Richmond Odeon on my way to and from work every day of the week, but not once have I wandered in. Talk about failing to take advantage of a good thing.

So I decided to see The Happening as an after-work treat. It wasn't meant to be today, originally I was supposed to see Sex and the City with Best Mate, but we made a bit of a pig's ear of that plan (despite what can only be described as a monumental effort). So, having been denied one movie experience, I treated myself to another in its place.

And I did enjoy my solitary self, though I was a touch bored waiting for things to start and I missed having someone to jab excitedly during the trailers.

As for the movie, unlike a lot of people, I quite like M Night Shamalayadingdong and his strange little brain. I like the twists and turns he takes, I enjoy the stories he dreams up and, barring a couple, I tend to be more than satisfied with what he does with them. I loved The Sixth Sense, Signs and Lady In the Water (please don't disown me), though I could take or leave the rest of them. Mind you, I'm more patient than most when it comes to movies - I'll watch any old rubbish.

I won't say too much about this one, except to confirm that it is, as many have commented, a very odd movie. Unusual characters, which is always refreshing, and a novel idea. Not flawless, by any means, but I think I liked it.

Or, at least, I did until my brother texted me the ending halfway through.

I'm gonna rip his nads off when I see him next.

4 comments:

Tenebrous said...

I love M. Night Shyamalan movies... looking forwards to seeing this one :D

Tim said...

You've only got yourself to blame - weren't you *told* to turn your mobile off before the feature presentation!?

Anonymous said...

Tsk Tsk mobile phone on in the movie!
I am never sure of M Knight Shammamamamamalammam movies. I keep wanting to yell "I see dead people" regardless of which film it is. Sigh.
I also walk past an Odeon on my way home, I may wander myself right in there!

WillowC said...

Sheesh, nothing like a bit of sympathy, eh :P

You'll love it then Ten, it's very hum!