Thursday 29 May 2008

What a Novel Idea

This proud, majestic example of cartoon horse is the second to experience rejection during my online gaming career. This one is not called Spanky, nor is it languishing in the depths of WoW having not been fed in a month, but all the same it is feeling the first twinges of neglect.

I do have a good reason for my appalling ownership skills, however: thanks to some inspiration from Sparky Tim, who let me read the novella he just completed at the weekend (and may I just say that it will be many years until the smugness of having been the first to read that work of genius wears off), I have begun writing my own book again.

This is not the first novel to have fallen squib-like from my biro. Back in school, I wrote a Point Horror-style tale that I seem to remember included every single difficult-to-escape-from situation I had ever read about (which was a lot). It was a popular undertaking and, at one point, I had a line of classmates on the desks beside me, passing the pages along like a readership conveyor belt as I completed them.

It was pants, of course. The next attempt wasn't much better - I think it was called Xanadu, but I'm not sure why, as that word had bugger all to do with anything. Certainly not the diary of a teenage tearaway, written by, as you might guess, a wannabe teenage tearaway.

Next up was a sci-fi piece that I absolutely loved - I got quite far with it, too, and had lots of marvellous characters and a beautifully crafted plot. Except I then found out I'd been a complete muppet, failed to do my research and set about telling a completely impossible story. So that put an end to that venture.

My latest attempt, however, I have high hopes for. The plot is water-tight, I love the characters and the setting, now I just need to get the damn thing down without writing text as flowery and over-enthusiastic as a bad fantasy novel involving a burly bloke in sandals named Ershwin.

Although Best Mate and Laura seem to be enjoying it thus far, as evidenced by this greeting from Laura yesterday evening, in search of the next installment:

Laura: where is it? where is it??
Laura: gimmeh
Me: ello!
Laura: hai
Laura: gimmeh
Me: LOL ok hold yer horses, this isn't polished yet, you realise!
Laura: i know i know!
Laura: shup an gimmeh
Laura: jkjk
Laura: but srsly
Laura: gimmeh

Meanwhile Best Mate cleverly summarised the whole thing as follows:

This is really making me get the heebie jeebies about something very urgent that i dont know what it is yet but i still care!

I'm not at all sure why these two don't set about writing books too, they'd be bloody hilarious, but when I suggested the idea to Best Mate, she said:

Oh yes i like the sound of that! Most of them would be ninsense. See?

Wish me luck everyone, only another hundred thousand words to go, piece of piss!

10 comments:

Tim said...

Ah, bless you again.

I'm going to read yours properly at the weekend, then no doubt I'll join the crowing chorus or "more, more!"

CatDude said...

Good luck with it! And I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is really looking forward to the final product.

Oh, and I can take care of that horse, just transfer it to my Hunter ;-D

Anonymous said...

Liv Tyler is so going to talk this book breathily into my squeaky hearing aid.

I love it and agree with Laura about the gimmeh!

You realise that was the fastest I'd ever read anything since uni?
x

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you've read Tim's book already! Damn lucky you are. Keep writing, do it. I like book signings. I am SO going to throw underwear at you too.

Anonymous said...

At your book signing I mean, not just randomly chuck underwear at you whenever I see you. Although...

Anonymous said...

Yay for writing! I love that inspired mindset...I wish I had a bit myself lately. So go be an inspiring successful writer so I can thank you in those big interviews when we're both famous and I can say I knew you when. :D

Anonymous said...

Is there more yet? IS THERE?! Goddammit, I can't stay online tonight but I will be on to hassle you tomorrow ^_^ It's so good ppl!

WillowC said...

Tim: I'm all nervous now!

Timothy: Nice try :P But I might let you ride behind me ;)

SylvieGirl: OK but only if we can get Angelina in the movie!

Watch*Paint*Dry: You realise I wouldn't for a moment be surprised?

QueenKellee: Totally, we can be each other's personal PR machines :D

Laura: Yes, there is, mwahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Xanadu ha! I don't suppose you have seen the movie from the 70's with Oliva Newton John....anyway...I have an idea....I need your help....I need a writer. Damn it woman I don't even know where to find you!

WillowC said...

Yahoo dude, yahoo! Or email me, I'm always about. Or tell me when you're on SL and I'll come a-running!