Wednesday 14 May 2008

Starstruck...again

Just before the interval of last night's show, Derren Brown instructed the audience to write questions on little cards, to be sealed in little black envelopes and placed in a bowl on the stage - the purpose of which was for him to guess the question, the answer and the asker's identity during the second act.

We were far too slow to join the throng heading for the stage and failed to get an envelope, so I concentrated during the rest of the show on sending out confusing vibes to make his task much harder.

Important note: No, I don't actually think he's psychic.

Anyway, the point of my recounting this little tale is that, while shuffling stage-wards, I spotted none other than the fabulously funny David Mitchell heading in the other direction! Who is, I might add, really rather attractive in person.

I caught his eye, did some strange oogly-boogly eye thing in sheer excitement, brushed against his arm and prodded my brother repeatedly until he hissed that he doesn't know who David Mitchell is.

Sigh.

I, however, was absolutely thrilled and have added him to my list of incredibly random celebrity spottings, alongside such eminent persons as:

  • Phillip Schofield, ambling through Waterloo
  • Donald Fisher from Home and Away, also at Waterloo (and an awful lot shorter)
  • Timmy Mallet once hit me over the head with his mallet and I told him to piss off, thus ruining my chances of appearing on the show.
  • I met that Cindy bint from Eastenders and she was really rude and sour-faced.
  • The Playbus once drove past me several times and waved.
  • Helen Mirren asked me what floor of a building she needed to go to.
  • Tony Bennett having dinner in a restaurant, before asking to be moved because Dean and I kept pointing and giggling at him.
  • The Cheeky Girls, wandering along Baker Street.
  • Bill Bailey lives on the road I used to walk down to work, so I saw him all the time.
  • Matthew Kelly came and presented awards at my school - he's awfully tall.
  • I walked right past Neve Campbell and Alan Davies, who were in Waitrose at the same time, and managed to not spot either of them.
  • I saw Richard Ashcroft in a different Waitrose.
The cherry on the cake...

I used to live directly opposite Chesney Hawkes, on the same road as Sir Trevor McDonald. Down the road from Aled Jones. I am THAT cool.

So who, dear readers, have you spotted upon your travels?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

DONALD FISHER!! Ol' Flathead! I'm so jealous you saw David Mitchell, I wanna keep him in the cupboard under the stairs for rainy days.

I haven't seen many celebs. The Challenge Anneka van drove past my friends and I when I was about 14, she waved :D

Oh, and I queued behind the Cheeky Girls in a petrol station a few years back.

Sadly I think that's.... oh no, wait! I walked right past Kevin Bacon as I was coming out of a hotel in New York! :O I ended up only seeing the back of his head cos I was giggling like an idiot at the time as I had just tripped up..a bit -.-

Kitty Lalonde said...

Oh oh oh. I can (sorta by proxy) top Philip, cos he grew up round these parts and my aunty used to date him! he came down to the local theatre thingy while she was there and they had a good old natter and what not, also Timmy Mallett was taught by none other than Tie's dad, so there are my tenuous links.

As to famous people I've seen, well Dawn French and Lenny Henry visited my old workplace (a supermarket of dubious quality), the lesbian chick from Drop the dead donkey in Habitat on Kings road, I (literally( walked into Duncan Goodhew in Paddington. And on various drunken nights out in Newquay I've seen PJ from big brother and Paul Nicholls, who is a nob and we abused him.

Canimal said...

OMG I LOVE MARK FROM PEEP SHOW!
I CANT BELIEVE U SAW HIM THATS SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
I am waaay jelous lady!!

Anonymous said...

Wellll, if you ever come to Vegas expect to double your list!

WillowC said...

Vicious: Good god, there you are woman, where have you BEEN! Yes I am still coming to Vegas, you just try and stop me.

Laura: I've seen the Cheeky Girls too, those bints get everywhere.

Kitty: I might ask you the same question I asked Vicious -.- But the Timmy Mallet connection tickles me greatly.

Cani: Come back to London then and we'll go find him :P

Anonymous said...

My RL job involves working in the film/tv industry and although I don't work on set that much, I have met my share of celebs this way...The funny thing about working with celebs during productions is that you're both expected to treat them like a normal person (don't fangirl squee all over them or ask for autographs) but also still like a celeb (don't talk to them unless it's for your job or they talk to you first, or stare at them while they are on camera trying to act)...so here's my list:

--Bill Pulman: most down to earth and sweet man evar!
--Hayden Panettiere: this was pre-heros when she was younger, acted a bit like a spoiled brat
--Kenny Rogers (classic country music singer): on a commercial, had a chat with him at the end of his production day and he was cutely embarrased and how many times he flubbed his lines that morning
--Veronica Mars Season 3! I worked on set of VM it's last year so I met everyone from that show, all of them very nice and professional and fun (Kristen Bell, Jason Doring, Enrico Colantoni, Ryan Hansen, Tina Majorino, Chris Lowell, etc etc)
--Oh and not work related...my friend and I once asked for directions from Jay Leno at a gas station.
--there's got to me more I'm forgetting but nothing else comes to mind at the moment...

My boyfriend also works in The Biz as a camera man, he's met waaay more famous people than I have.

Anonymous said...

Am i too late?
I seen these peeps:

Noel Fielding - I said I LOVE YOU and he kissed me and I died a bit.

Brian Big Brother - looking very tanned at Waterloo.

Alan Titchmarsh - in Safeway.

Kathy from Eastenders - in my pub.

Someone off the Wright Stuff - in my Starbucks.

Sally Philips - in my hairdressers. I had to turn her down for a blow-dry cos the lazy moo stylist wanted to go shopping.

Richard Ashcroft and Kate Spiritualized - Waitrose and walking past hairdressers.

Billy Bragg - at Tottenham Court Road.

Mohammed Al Fayed - in Harrods. I shouted at him before I knew it was him cos I was being shoved by hus bodyguards. Felt a right plum when I realised why!

Liberty X bint - on my tube.

Jarvis Cocker - Electric Ballroom at a Mercury Rev gig. Lovely long fingers.

Andrew WK - got a sweaty hug off him after his gig.

Chesney, too!

WillowC said...

Oh yes, I forgot about Jarvis, he spoke to us at a concert when we were being pulled over the rails and there was a certain amount of...boob revealage.

And I saw Brian Big Bro too, and was at the BB show when thingy got thrown out. Yes, thingy.

Anonymous said...

Thingy FTW! \o/