Tuesday 13 May 2008

A Gift to Comedy

As I was giggling frantically at another of his cunning word-play witticisms yesterday, my dear colleague David glanced over at me appreciatively and called me "a gift to comedy".

Which is in many ways true, because I laugh loudly, constantly and easily and am at my happiest when doing so.

In fact, my very favourite people are the ones who make me laugh. Which brought me to realise, as I sat shedding tears of laughter at Dara O'Briain's show last night, that the quality I probably value most of all in others - aside from not being a twat - is humour.

Make me giggle, win my heart, that appears to be the golden rule. There are certain people who can have me breathless with mirth within minutes of talking to them. A surprised and slightly concerned Tim, not having seen me for at least a year, once immortalised this concept as follows:

"Reminded that former work pal Sarah laughs at anything and everything; resolve to refer to her as the giggle-a-tron from now on."

Fortunately I know a satisfying number of highly amusing people, which means my comedy cravings are addressed often. Alternatively, I can simply scroll through my blogroll and know someone on there will have frisbeed something across the intermaweb to make me smile.

My question for you all is thus: what do you value most about your friends? Is there a quality that connects them?

6 comments:

CatDude said...

The most important things for me are humour, happiness and honesty.

Humour is quite important for me as I can be quite funny myself (not always willingly, though ...) and because I think there's nothing better than making someone smile. Happiness is just as important, cause I just can't stand grumpy people. And honesty should always be the base for a friendship (while on the other hand it doesn't mean that you have to know EVERYTHING about the other one).

Anonymous said...

Humor a definate requirement, and never taking live too seriously, it's far too short for that!

Humor is catching and we're spreading it as best we can :)

Jezabelle Charron said...

I agree that humor is what initially binds me to my friends. However, we cannot be funny all the time, can we (well we can, but...)?

Humor: to make me laugh when I want to cry or just because.

Honesty: to tell me "he just isn't right for you" or "yes, your ass looks fat in that".

Loyalty: To weather the storm with me, to help me when I have fallen, and to slap me when I need it.

Added bonus: same shoe size and and a love for make believe!

RoxWise said...

The ability to laugh at ourselves is important, not to take life soo seriously.

Anonymous said...

Humour is the path to my heart.

My long-time-live-in-should-be-hubby-by-now boyfriend and I have a special connection with humor. Before we dated we were friends, but I swear the funny is what started my toes curling. He's got a really dry humour...sometimes so dry that people aren't sure it's a joke. I always know, and always laugh. And I always joke about how my laughing keeps him from getting his arse beat (signaling "joke" to the slow).

I try to be funny too, we do have a thing that we try to make each other laugh. I can be funny at times but always am funnier when I've got someone to work off of! I have a few friends that when I'm around them all I do is laugh: I imagine to them I must be pretty boring to be around, but a sure-fire ego-boost :):)

I love/lust John Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Jonathan Coulton (musician with hilarious songs!), Dmitri Martin, really any comedian who makes me giggle. I also have a writer's forum I visit alot which has The Funniest Personalities...being all writers it's a constant trying to out-funny each other. Brilliant Gold.

WillowC said...

I love everyone's answers, thank you peeps! Some really good points, and I agree with them all :)

And I'm glad to see I'm not the only giggler!