Sunday 8 July 2007

An ode to beaners

OK you can blame Laura for this post, which I am aware will take my blog on a dizzy ride into the heady heights of weirdness.

I wish to spread the word about beaners, you see. Laura, like myself, enjoys the odd runner bean - my granddad used to grow them and her mum does the same. But she isn't eating them properly, for she does not have a beaner!

The beaner: ancient invention of vegetable goodness. Lop the end of your beans off with the sharp bit at the top and then thread them through the round bit, which is filled with a grid of sharp bastards that cut your runners into spaghetti-like strands.

Note that the beaner has a built-in adjustment lever, such that no bean is too big or too small. It also has handy little side blades that remove the stringy outer layer.

Coming next week: sprouts, myth or menace?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what is that green thing behind the beaner?? Cos if that's a runner bean, then I dunno what I've been eating :\ it looks like a scarf.

WillowC said...

Bean fascist -.-

HeatherFev21 said...

OMG that's SO lazy!

I think Laura might be eating runner beans, like MEEEE, not icky green beans, ick.

HeatherFev21 said...

OH and my dad grows them too, it's such a parent thing, what do you think I should be growing, apart from a fetus?

WillowC said...

*cries* it IS runners :( I so need a better picture, but googling 'beaner' just gets weird stuff.

Sadly it's no easier, but it IS more efficient and produces perfect beans :D

And strawberries! You can never have enough strawberries!

Anonymous said...

You failed to mention that old ppl strawberries are the best! It's almost like you don't care... :(

WillowC said...

I was going to, but then I realised that would have implied sis was old.

Does this mean I have to do a whole post for strawberries? I really am gonna end up the most dull blogger on the internet, you realise this?

HeatherFev21 said...

OI -.-

WHAT is old about strawberries?!

Oh hang on, old ppls strawberries are the best, yes, I concur at that, my dads ROCK and he's an OAP!

WillowC said...

Coming soon: Old Person Strawberries, A Tribute.

I DO hope you're on the edge of your seats.

Who'd have thought a bean slicer would be so controversial, eh?

HeatherFev21 said...

Where is the picture I painstakingly made you (in 10 seconds in paint >.>)

WillowC said...

-.-

It was lies, LIES, I'm not publishing lies.

-.-

It is NOT for french beans -.-

Well it might be, but it's MORE for runner beans -.-

Anonymous said...

Whatever type of bean it's for, the fact still remains.... that I like that green scarf behind the beaner

WillowC said...

I knitted it myself. Out of RUNNER SODDING BEANS -.-