Saturday 14 July 2007

Cheesy beans and candy

I am ashamed to report that poor Canimal's impression of England will be dominated by a preoccupation with soft cheese and a vomit-flavoured jellybean.

Canimal Zephyr, uber-famous SL fashion designer and one of Style Disorder's head honchos, is over from Israel on holiday, so it was up to WillowZ, Kris Ritter and myself to entertain her for the day.

We started out (once we'd actually managed to find each other) in CyberCandy, a fantabulous store that imports chocolate and sweets from all over the world. They have all the stuff you see them eating in movies but have never seen in real life, like Tootsie Rolls and Twinkies and Oreo cereal. I squished my Twinkie :( But it still tasted good :D

We went to various pubs and eateries, drank beer and cocktails and sampled a couple of our purchases. Firstly a chocolate bar from New Zealand that looked like a normal Dairy Milk but had a different surprise centre in every square. I ate a piece that tasted (and looked) like pureed skin and Cani discovered that she does not, in fact, like turkish delight.

We then tried the Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, based on the Harry Potter books. Now these weren't the meek and pointless version they put on sale over here, these were bona fide evilness in a box. Between us we tried earthworm, booger, soap and earwax flavours and I bravely accepted the challenge of eating a vomit bean. It was not an experience I will be repeating. We left some on the tip tray, which probably means we're banned from the Zoo Bar.

The mystery of the information WillowZ found on the internet was solved: they do have cream cheese in Israel after all, they just don't have Brie. Cani was grilled (like a piece of cheese, in fact) for dairy-related information and it's safe to say there's now little I don't know about Israeli cheese.

So here's the question we couldn't answer: if you were to give a tourist one item to take home that truly represents England, what would it be? And WillowZ, if you say "a pigeon" one more time... -.-

9 comments:

Amanda said...

haha, that was a good story. I had brie cheese on my vacation! I dont think I like that cheese.
So, you don't get oreos and twinkies over there? I thought everyone had those.

Tim said...

The Queen. I'd give tourists the Queen.

In other matters: You squished your twinkie? Sounds painful.

WillowC said...

Amanda: We do get Oreos, but not the cereal, which I should point out looked revolting. I'm going back for more twinkies though!

Tim: It's the same sort of pain as bashing your funny bone. I don't think giving people the Queen would work though, because she'd keep storming off.

HeatherFev21 said...

I still say PIGEON.

Marks and Sparks sell dead ones >.>

BOOGER BEANS ARE RANK :(

WillowC said...

No they do NOT sell dead ones, not in the Baker Street branch, anyway. Dear LORD with the pigeons -.-

Amanda said...

ewww yeah, the cereal is diqusting. What if they made a twinkie cereal?

WillowC said...

Come now, that would just be mush!

Milli said...

That sounds like Australian "Snack" chocolate which is heaven in a wrapper. Pineapple (the yellow one) is my faaaaaaaavourite! I lived in Germany a few years and it didn't take long for me to be firm in my belief that noone makes chocolate like us Aussies!

WillowC said...

Ooooo now Germany, that was one country not represented in our shopping buckets! I have got something Japanese waiting to be sampled though, which I think it extra brave of me considering I can't read the packaging and it's shaped like a fish :O