Saturday 11 October 2008

Public Service Whine

Today was supposed to be the sacred, long-awaited day of joy and excitement on which I purchased my new iPhone, ridding myself for good of EVIL T Mobile and the complete lack of signal I get even at home - which, incidentally, is 3/4 of the way up one of the bigger hills to grace the capital city. If this is a signal black spot, where the hell are the white ones? Speaking on the phone involves hanging out of the window, just like it did in the 90s.

Just to complement this, I've never had a phone break on me before I signed up with these Beelzebubs, but I managed to flip the top off the flip-top they palmed off on me, and the one I have now, the Samsung U600, gives me very special feelings of hatred. At first it made its ill temper known by going a bit peculiar when I texted and switching itself off when it felt like it, so that sometimes it would take me half an hour to send one measly text. Not all the time, just when it felt like it.

I got a bit rageful with its wilful behaviour during Doctor Who, while desperately trying to ask a friend with inside info what was going to happen, and threw it against a wall. This did not, to clarify, solve the problem.

Though that's not what broke it, oh no. It threw a strop about lord only knows what while I was innocently bobbing about in a club with Laura and switched itself off for good. They replaced it, with the same model, but even though this one behaves itself, it still gives me special feelings.

Since the summer I've been pining after an iPhone, not least for its GPS facility, which, with a bit of luck, will prevent me from trotting off in the wrong direction quite so often. And to have lightsaber duels with Tim, of course. And to replace my cumbersome, ancient iPod, which these days qualifies as an antique. And finally because it's quite the most crush-worthy electrical object I've seen in a good long time.

But I've been cheated out of my iPhone for another month, thanks to the evil bastards at T Mobile, who lied about when my contract was up. Displeased doesn't even begin to describe it - T Mobile, I curse thee!

7 comments:

Tim said...

Throw broken phones at them!

Anonymous said...

Spit on all mobile phone companies, they all lie and think up extra expenses.
Can you blog from an iphone?

Tim said...

Yes! I've done it several times!

WillowC said...

Yes, there is so much you can do from an iPhone, so much more than you can do from my phone. I mean the thing doesn't even phone people, it doesn't even merit its own name!

Anonymous said...

Is this the phone you're saying I can have?

Anonymous said...

I am thinking USA hungover blogging?
Yes?

WillowC said...

SylvieGirl - The new one, which behaves like a good phone, has never been thrown at anything and won't give you coverage worries without the dreaded T Mobile powering it.

W*P*D - Hell yeah!