Wednesday 2 January 2008

Happy New Year! (and the Status Kwoo)

Happy New Year everyone, I hope your hangovers are beginning to subside and you've managed a good night's sleep, for now it's back to the grind with the forced smile of the newly resolute.

I had a lovely new year up in Northampton with WillowZ, Grumpy, the littl'uns, Holly and Sian, and Jake the Three-legged Dog. The new house is gorgeous and, pleasingly, full of alcohol and sausage rolls.

We watched I Am Leg End (shush, I shall say it how I like), which I wasn't terribly impressed with. I've since watched it again and worked out that this was largely due to being distracted by Jake tapping about on the wooden floor (which drives Grumpy mad, but I find it most entertaining) and a 2-month old being cute on my lap. More on that later.

I have nominated myself De Facto Godmother to both small fries - Holly, however, loses points in the cute stakes for looking highly dubious at the idea, even when it was explained to her that all it means is an extra present on birthdays.

After making our way through an impressive amount of cocktails (well, various spirits topped up at random with whatever mixer was closest) and discovering that Black Russians taste like paint if made with lemonade, we made poor Grumpy go and get the PS3 from the other house, which was a half hour walk away. Sorry Grumps.

Anyone who was present on Yahoo the night WillowZ and I first got merry and exercised our vocal chords will know what a beautiful, harmonious sound it can be. They will also understand why my neighbours never spoke to me again. So letting us near Singstar after half a bottle of vodka was probably a mistake.

Really we just wanted to sing Hammertime, but it requires vocal gymnastics neither of us was up to. Holly tickled me enormously, when singing the High School Musical songs, by pronouncing status quo as 'status kwoo'. She thus regains her cute points.

We made our way through all the 90s songs and rock ballads until about 4 in the morning, when Grumpy had long disappeared to the safety of the bedroom with Sian, Holly was conked out on the sofa and WillowZ had slowly drifted off to sleep while still singing, such that her final note was more of a breathy scale.

And I wasn't even hungover!

10 comments:

HeatherFev21 said...

Wasn't it a FUN new year?!?!

Well, what I remember of it anyway, feeling tip top today though :D I guess you can only expect I be slightly groggy after that amount of alchohol for the first time in FOREVER.

I shall try watching I am Leg End again, maybe i'll shut the kids and Jake in another room tho so we don't get the tippy tabby, the "the dog won't die, will it?" question a gazillion times and all that fun stuff!

Ok, i'm on hold for Argos, who've once again arsed something up (SHOCKER) so I best go before I want to launch this laptop and the stupid slow connection through the TV.

LOVE LOVE! <333

WillowC said...

It was!! And you don't half make a yummy fry-up.

You want to watch out though, your sofas are so comfy you might keep coming home to find I've turned up again and am ensconced, like a dozing nan, in my favourite chair.

They recline, people!!

Call the nasty people who haven't sent me choclit-based presents, too >:(

Tim said...

Thank you for the very random and obviously I Am Leg End-based text message on New Years Eve. It made my night!

WillowC said...

The fact I know full well who to turn to for that sort of information or the drunken merriness of the message content??!

Amanda said...

Black Russians? What are those? I had White Russians recently. They were sooo good.

I'm jealous of your new year! It sounds like it was much more fun than mine. Then again alchohal was involved for you so I guess that makes it instantly more fun.

WillowC said...

It's a white russian, but with coke instead of cream!

So: vodka, kahlua or Tia Maria (coffee liqueur stuffage) and diet coke.

Marvellous!

It was fun, I want to go back and Inhabit My Chair :(

Tim said...

Both. I'm wise AND easily amused.

WillowC said...

Fabulous, I now know that bothering you with completely out-of-the-blue questions is not only tolerated, it's actually welcomed! I will store this information for later (over)use.

Tim said...

Very well.

Anonymous said...

I would like to go on record as saying thats child is freaking adorable. Well done!