Wednesday 30 January 2008

Linkin Park: My guilty pleasure

I can't help it, I've always loved Linkin Park, and if that makes me a sulky teenage boy then so be it. It's my guilty little secret, and now it's out. My little brother - who actually IS a sulky teenage boy - has also always been something of a fan, so we've been promising one another we'll see them since he was knee high to a grasshopper. He's now knee high to a skyscraper.

Monday, therefore, was something of a highlight to 2008 - it's been a rather good year so far, actually, which is faintly suspicious - as Best Mate, Anton, Sulky Bro and I pottered off to see them at the 02 (previously the Millennium Dome, for non-Londoners). And fuck me is it a big bastard.

As far as we could tell, from some speedy basic maths that entertained us for about an hour, it holds about 17,551 people* (as Chester, bless him, put it so beautifully, "Leave it to London to build the biggest, baddest mother of a stadium in the world").

Which meant that those of us who were too slow and bought our tickets in the second millisecond after they went on sale were at least 3 miles up in the sky. Yes, that's right, 3 miles.

It was a bit of a surprise to all of us (as nobody had actually thought to check) to find out the support act was only Biffy bloody Clyro! Never have I seen Anton beam so widely - and those who were paying attention back in about August will be desperately uninterested to hear that that was one of the CDs I borrowed from him and failed to return.

And then it was Linkin Park themselves, who, it turns out, are a million times better as a live band than on the old iPod. Darker, heavier, louder, more excitable, polished and really enjoying themselves - not to mention Chester's voice, which is incredibly powerful. He didn't do the 17-second scream I was hoping for, but I did clock him at 13 seconds and, to be fair, it WAS the end of the tour.


Quote of the night (during the second encore)
Me: Awww look, Chester's up on his box again, he does so love his box
Best Mate: I shall put him IN his box in a minute, if he doesn't get a move on so I can have a wee.

p.s. In other news, I've just disovered that the designer helping me make Open Your Mind is a punk metal guitarist whose band just finished a countrywide tour, during which they played the Astoria. Marvellous, a magazine intended to enlighten, balance, de-stress and broaden the horizons of the women of Britain and it's being put together by a lunatic and a thrash metaller.

*Actually we guessed at 10,000 and I just looked it up now to find out how wrong we were, all of which tells you all you need to know about my number dyslexia.

9 comments:

Dinah said...

I've often wondered what the 02 was in blog posts, and never knew. Thank you!

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

so unfair *sulks* i wanted to go!!
sounds like you guys had a blast!

Tim said...

What's Dinah doing here!? That was a pleasent surprise!

Hello Dinah!

Um, where was I? Oh yeah - the O2 is a wicked venue.

HeatherFev21 said...

I love Linkin Park and I am PROUD. Infact...

Italian students visit the uni every year, they are most definately sulky teenagers, and mostly boys!

They were walking along one day singing lyrics from Linkin Park and we were walking back from lunch and someone said "I know those lyrics, what are they?"

So I reeled them off, and said "Linkin Park"... That earnt me a few clouts about the head, for knowing it at my age, and now, I am dubbed "The emo heavy metal chick"

Emo Heavy Metal Chick? Ok, Grandads!

WillowC said...

Dinah: yay hello!! It's a very confusing name, I'm not surprised you wondered - it just has nothing to do with a stadium, does it?

Hatty: next time you'll have to come with us! plenty of gigs up this way...

Tim: YES! I love it, even if I did worry constantly that I was going to fling myself over the edge!

Willis: do they not realise that most of Linkin Park is now married with babies and probably a large number of woollen socks?

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

getting to gigs aint so easy when you have 58,000 children, running 4 businesses and noone wants to babysit!!
altho i did go to a gig last night at mrkyps, just popped first draft of review up on my blog!
anyone gets the chance, see this guy! he is amazing!

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

oh and happy burpday to you!!
love yaz and i do remember this day in history ;o)

Inexplicable DeVice said...

It's your birthday? Happy Birthday!

Actually, I quite like Linkin Park, too especially Crawling.

Chester's such a little cutie!

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

it is indeed her birthday! i remember her nan coming into our house to tell us of her birth! i'm sure she is in a huge puddle of drunkness as i type! if not WHY NOT???? lol