Thursday 18 September 2008

The Great To Do List

I've been feeling agitated for a week or so, not quite sure what I want to be doing with myself or - more to the point - what I ought to be doing. I was pretty convinced there was plenty on that list, but I couldn't figure out exactly what or where to start.

This evening I've figured out that, because I've been out and about and generally enjoying the company of the best people I know over the past couple of months, wandering off on weekend jaunts and getting merry in as many situations as possible, I've been letting a fair few things slide.

Not long ago I was proud of my creative output and of being generally on top of things - but not any more, and I suspect much of that pride was based on an illusion. I currently have so many things in the process of being done, watched, read, written and learned that I've reached saturation point - and as for the 'doing' part, that's been sadly lacking.

I have so many box sets with two or three episodes left to watch, so many skills I've started to learn and never completed, so many games I've not made it to the end of - the list is endless. I'm behind on that evil place known as Facebook, my inbox is spilling over, I still haven't done the next assignment on my course - I haven't even managed to find a dentist yet, for shame. Ridiculous as it sounds, even the fact I've not made it to level 50 on LOTRO is bothering me.

Having such a terrifying list of things that need doing has been unconsciously pulling me back from taking on the new, though I only realise that now. I've not been able to find the time to comment, or even read, all the blog posts in my Reader, I've gone silent on Plurk and I haven't browsed Flickr in an absolute age. I even feel a pang of guilt responding to a new email, because I know I should already have replied to so many others.

So I think a little clear-up is called for, and from today on I've made a little personal pledge to work on at least one item on that list every day, thus freeing up my time to progress. Tonight, for example, I will do that damn assignment, and I will clear my pc desktop (hence the finally completed picture at the top, which has been waiting to be attended to for a month) and venture onto Facebook. I might even go and prod things with spears on LOTRO.

It's a rounding up, if you will, of everything swimming around in my head. If only these things could be solved with a dustpan and brush.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life moves so quickly these days that sometimes we can't keep up with our own selves. Too much to do! It is nice to just slow down from time to time and look around at what we have and appreciate/finish that. I am going to take a leaf out of your book and try that when I get back from holiday. The guilt is getting too much!

TOP idea!

Tim said...

I reached the same point almost exactly one year ago - so I focused on de-cluttering everything in my life. And I succeeded - except on my book stack, which is still, um, stacked…

CatDude said...

Oh, I hear you! I have been trying hard to get all the things on my to-do list to a reasonable level during the last months, but I still feel like there's way too much on it. Actually, I will most likely give up even more things (like Facebook for example) to maybe one day find peace again...

The only thing that I GET to work on lately is my LOTRO level and I'll try to beat you in the race to level 50 ;)
Oh, did I mention I'm lvl 42 now? :-P

*hugs*

Canimal said...

the only thing on my to do list is james marsters :)

Simon said...

Hi, i enjoyed your article in the SL magazine. I'd love to get in touch and chat. What's the best place to reach you? Thx Simon (email simon |at| frenzoo dot com)

ps - sorry for adding one more thing to your to do list :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well i was going to HUG you from afar, but instead I 'huge' you from afar. So I deleted it. Huge is nice and all, but here I shall place a properly spelled hug in its stead.
PS the dark lipstick in the other post is the sexy. Aroo.