Saturday 22 September 2007

Spin me round, round baby

After two weeks of walking into door frames and being permanently cross-eyed, it looks like my labyrinthitis is on the way out. It all began on Best Mate's 30th, when I felt a bit peculiar and had to go home from work for a small nap. Here I am at her birthday meal, being a bit dizzy (no change there then) behind the menu. Lurking, you might say.

As a brief aside, it was a very entertaining day. Best Mate and I went to House of Fraser at lunchtime, where we purchased her present, Chanel No. 5. I then treated her to a McDonalds, because she is nothing if not a woman of disparate tastes. After work we went to a tapas restaurant called Destino, where we made the usual spectacle of ourselves.

Anyway, back to my ears. Two days later and the spinning had begun in earnest - just when my first week off in 6 months began. Bloody typical.

For those of you who have never suffered this aggravating illness: labyrinthitis is a virus that affects your inner ears and mucks up your balance centres. As a result, your whole body thinks it's in a washing machine and tries to compensate for it by spinning you in the opposite direction. Entertaining? Absolutely not.

It's like that feeling when you're small and spin round and round until you fall over, which is great fun until you take it a bit too far and feel like you're going to vomit on your own feet.

I'm painting a particularly beautiful mental portrait today, aren't I?

Anyway, I'm pleased to announce that the tribulations are finally coming to an end and I no longer sway as if caught in a breeze. I will no longer lurch to the left while walking, confusing my fellow pedestrians. I will not be forced to spend long periods lying very still in silence, an activity that is pure torture for a fidget. I can finally see the television and computer screen again without my eyes scanning across them like a typewriter. I have been able to get to the supermarket and avail myself of the fresh vegetable selection, something I craved like a crack addict during the worst of it. I am free!

So what did I do in celebration of this fact? I played Warcraft, of course.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! glad you're alllll better! Personally i think it was warcraft that cured you. Monocle power!:D

Tim said...

It made you sway?! Hell, you'd be awesome as a background character during a starship battle in an amateur dramatics production of Star Trek.

Hard to port!

WillowC said...

It was kind of a gentle swaying, though, so it would be more yellow alert, first couple of photon torpedoes, rather than after the shields are down and people are starting to look a bit alarmed.

HeatherFev21 said...

YAY for being better, had I been nearer, and not heavily pregnant, I would have hopped on a train to make sure you were eating properly and being all looked after! <3

WillowC said...

Aaawwwww ty sis <3

Amanda said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I credit your cure to my card I sent you-however you never said anything about it, making me wonder if you even got it...