Wednesday 12 November 2008

A moment of amused

I think I have a contender for Best Paragraph Ever. This hasn't been my favourite week, so I thought to cheer myself by re-reading an old favourite: Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. During which I re-discovered potentially the most amusing piece of prose ever written (in my humble opinion).

To give you a little background, the canine in question is a hellhound that has taken on the appearance of a small, scruffy dog to fulfill the overheard pet requirements of its master, a boy who has yet to discover he is the Antichrist. Its usual form is large, terrifying and bad-tempered.

And then there were cats, thought Dog. He'd surprised the huge ginger cat from next door and had attempted to reduce it to cowering jelly by means of the usual glowing stare and deep-throated growl, which had always worked on the damned in the past. This time they earned him a whack on the nose that made his eyes water. Cats, Dog considered, were clearly a lot tougher than lost souls. He was looking forward to a further cat experiment, which he'd planned would consist of jumping around and yapping excitedly at it. It was a long shot, but it might just work.

6 comments:

Tim said...

I remember reading this book YEEEEEARS ago while on holiday. I was a massive Pratchett fan at the time, and was unsure about him collaborating with anyone else. Turns out it was one of his best books.

I probably should reread it…

Mabel Morris-Minor said...

amazing book!!! i want to read it nnnnnnnnoooooooooowwwwwwww!!!!
cannot justify buying MORE books for myself this close to giftmas tho! :o(

Anonymous said...

I am so going to re-read this too.
I am jumping about yapping excitedly, now if the lost souls around me could just be cats...

Canimal said...

sounds like a nice book. id wanna read it. but the point i REALLY came here to make is:
I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU! I MISS YOU!

Casandra Shilova said...

I saved this read for a bad day. Makes me smile :D

Inexplicable DeVice said...

Best. Book. EVAH!