Wednesday 10 October 2007

Catch the birdy

A newspaper article I came across today made me chuckle, but not because it was intended to be amusing and certainly not because the subject matter was cause for merriment.

It all began when, through simple curiosity, I took a look at a group that's apparently very popular in the London network, which has 50,000 members all calling for Ian Huntley's profile to be removed from the site. Even though he hasn't actually got one.

The group was apparently formed on the basis of informative and detailed articles from such publications as the Sun and Mirror. One of which I followed a link to, and discovered All That Is Bad About Tabloid Journalism.

It's not the political, social or moral implications of the whole episode that are concerning me here - those I will leave well alone and allow you to draw your own conclusions. Suffice to say I would be appalled if Huntley was actually on there and would happily join the protest. The part that I am finding morbidly funny is the unashamedly sensationalist writing that some people are clearly taking to be gospel.

Tabloid journalists ought to be ashamed of themselves for pandering to and actively fostering a mob mentality and, without mincing my words, making shit up. Why why why is this allowed? Why why why do people persist in believing it's truth?

Fortunately this article truly reveals what a farce it all is. Let's see if you can spot what made me burst out laughing:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article23125.ece

See it?

Yes, that's correct: the incredible attempt to induce shock value by adding capitalisation and a heavy bold font to a BUDGIE.

Now try to imagine Sir Trevor McDonald saying it like that.

No comments: